Friday, October 1, 2010

a "blog"

"The people who become excellent at a given thing aren't necessarily the same ones who seemed to be "gifted" at a young age. This suggests that when it comes to choosing a life path, people should do what they love-yes, your nana told you this too-because if you don't love what you're doing, you are unlikely to work hard enough to get very good at it."
a paragraph from page 61 of Super Freakonomics 
to encourage some of you


That's how I spent my first entire (rainy) day at home. I thought I had started reading this book, but turns out I had just read the introduction. So I finished the book yesterday to feel productive. (There is too much to do in a day and too few hours!) I recommend it and I'm looking forward to reading the first one..
A part of me doesn't want to read novels anymore. I've been meeting a lot of new people and I love hearing stories from real life encounters, or, movies. Reading feels most productive for learning. (Though, David Sedaris is most likely next on my list..)

A lot of people encourage me to work on my portfolio and such, but I am in fact actually not applying anywhere currently. Besides healing my back and arm, I'm highly enjoying my time off to learn and be simply inspired - I am gathering a ton of ideas. (Well, the workaholic in me has happily taken on a few custom and freelancer projects per request. Do feel free to message me)

I was a graphic designer, then a fashion designer.. I will always go back to fashion..
but on page 179 there's a story, that was quite beautiful...


"The Doctor introduces himself to someone, who says, 'Doctor? Are you some kind of scientist?' And he says, 'Sir, I am every kind of scientist.' And I was, like, Yes! Yes! That is what I want to be: every kind of scientist!"

No comments:

Post a Comment